Director of Modern Music (Part time)
This person will develop and lead the modern worship music ministry for our church, in consultation with the associate pastor and other team members, in a way that is consistent with our church’s mission, values, and theology.
Qualities we desire in an ideal candidate are:
- Leadership ability—able to work collegially with musicians, artists and other leaders, and interact dynamically and pastorally with the congregation
- Theologically grounded—able to articulate a theology of worship that demonstrates a solid grasp of the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- Musically talented—understands music from a variety of genres and generations, with particular emphasis on modern music
We are a welcoming congregation who ministers to each other with care and compassion. We seek to fulfill the baptismal vows to nurture, inspire, educate, and celebrate each generation. We are passionately committed to musical excellence, and we feature two styles of worship (traditional and modern) each Sunday morning. Our mission is to be “the church family engaging each person to enrich our community for God's glory through Jesus.”
Modern Service History:
This service began in 2004, and it was called “The Edge,” seeking to be seeker-friendly and relevant to the culture. In the last 13 years, the culture has changed significantly and we have taken time recently to rearticulate our purpose and identity. In 2016, we changed the name to “modern” and we adopted five “i” words to describe the kind of worship we want to cultivate: innovative, intentional, inter-generational, interactive, and intimate. We hope that all of the components of the service—the music, Scripture, multimedia, prayer, and preaching—create space for people to encounter God and experience the transforming power of the Gospel.
Within the context of a well-planned worship service, the Director of Modern Music is to provide the kind of balanced, sensitive leadership that maximizes the intentional flow of worship.
The Director of Modern Music will:
- Select and plan music, arranging music as needed
- Participate in the creative planning of the Sunday services with the Associate Pastor
- Recruit, equip, motivate, supervise and care for musicians and band members
- Arrange for a substitute when not present on a Sunday morning
- Provide music, leadership, and collegial collaboration with other staff for special services such as the family-centered Christmas Eve service and four unity services each year
- Participate in the life and ministry of the church
- Strong and growing relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord
- Ability to shepherd volunteer musicians in the Christian life
- Love and respect for people
- Attested musical skills and competence
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and motivate musicians and technical team members
- Positive attitude
- Strong team player with the rest of the staff and congregation
- Committed to the church's vision, leadership, and people
- Dependable, responsible, self-motivated, and creative
- Committed to a modern worship style that is creative, visionary, flexible, and diverse
- Ability to lead worship and to train others as individual and team worship leaders
- Professional quality keyboard or guitar player desired
- Skills in composing, arranging, writing, and sequencing music desired
- Motivation to work continually on developing and improving her/his own personal skills for use in ministry so that worship ministry can grow in this congregation. Participation in workshops, conferences, seminars, etc. is encouraged and expected.
- Hours of preparation/planning are generally flexible. In addition to the planning process, the Director will be expected to lead a weekly rehearsal for the band and guide the music at our modern service most every Sunday.
- Option to attend the yearly Symposium on Christian worship at Calvin College
- Annual performance review will be done with Associate Pastor
- Salary commensurate with experience, education, and credentials
Please submit to First Presbyterian Maumee a résumé that includes your employment history, education, church history/ministry experience, and three (3) references. You have the option to provide the link to one (1) YouTube/Vimeo video of your leading worship. In addition, please include a written response to the following prompts:
- Share your personal statement of faith
- Why do you feel God might be leading you to the Director of Modern Music position at First Pres Maumee?
Contact Information: Send résumés and written responses to the attention of Emily Mitchell, Associate Pastor, at .